Sunday, August 16, 2009

First Day of Class

As a kid, the Sunday night before a new school year started was almost like Christmas Eve. Well, the anticipation anyway. Not knowing what you would get on that first day of classes. Who would be in what class, where your locker was, and what the teachers were like. I always remember having many new outfits that I had begged to wear before school started. I always snuck in a few good wears of my new jeans each year. Why is it that new clothes make you feel so good?

I also got very excited about school supplies. When I was smaller, before I "traded classes", we would go to Wal-Mart, located in our mall, find the list for my school and teacher and buy the supplies listed. Once I got into middle school, junior high and high school, school supplies became even more exciting. See, when you traded classes, you had to wait to get your school supplies because each teacher required something different. I remember coming home after the first day of school and spending HOURS organizing my school folders, notebooks, pens and pencils. I must say that was always the most time that I ever spent working on school stuff! That's right, all before I even had a book I had already put about everything that I was going to put into a class before it even began. Miracle that I made it into college!

This begins the fifth year of my life that I have not been in school. Must say that I LOVE it! I do miss the new clothes, new notebooks, and promise of new beginnings each year that a school year brings. This year I have gotten caught up in the excitement though. Quincy will be "transitioning" into the 1 year old class on Wednesday! And also John and I began to teach Sunday School this year, beginning today. Yes, we are the proud teachers of the 3-year old at our church! Actually, we were a bit scared. But we have fearless and experienced partners in the endeavour, so it should be great fun.

I took this video of John and the kids in our class during "play time". Cracks me up! Then we went to Pinnacle Mountain to have lunch/sunday school with our class. Everyone took their kids, it was so much fun. I think that every time we are with this group I leave thinking how right it feels. They are a great bunch!

And a side note--tonight I went to hear William Paul Young, author of "The Shack" speak in a nearby town. It was really great. One of the many things that struck me was something that he said about a picture of him that he showed when he was about 4 years old, living in Papa New Guinea. He was abused in about every way as a child, beginning at 3 or so. The picture came up, old black and white one, of this beautiful little boy, knee socks and all. He was smiling, but it looked like a pained smile. He made the statement to the effect of one being able to see that his eyes were dead at a mere 4 years of age. And I could see it. It made my heart ache. Just earlier at lunch today, someone in our SS class was talking about Quincy's eyes. How bright and blue they were. He is so innocent and wonderful. I can only pray that as he faces such a sinful, hurtful, angry world that his eyes stay bright and beautiful.

No comments: